Bassment Sessions Throwback, Part 1
Every transformation of music in Jamaica from 50s R&B & Mento, Ska to Rocksteady, Roots to Rockers, Dancehall to Digital – Studio One has been one of the driving forces of music.
Hour one, part one ( of a three-part series), looks at the origins of Coxsone Dodd and Studio One beginning with his Downbeat Soundsystem in 1954, to his first release in 1959 up until 1969.
Kick back, crank it up – this week’s show is now in session!
1. Count Machuki – Scorcha
2. The Jolly Boys – Drip And Fall Back (Clip)
3. Clue J & The Blues Blasters – Shuffling Jug
4. Theo Beckford – Easy Snappin
5. The Wailers – Simmer Down
6. Any Whinehouse – Your Wondering Now (Clip)
7. The Specials – Your Wondering Now (Clip)
8. Andy & Joey – You’re Wondering Now
9. Slim Smith – I’ll Never Let You Go
10. Sound Dimension – Real Rock
11. Willi Williams – Armagideon
12. Bo Diddley – She’s Fin, She’s Mine ((Clip)
13. Willi Cobbs – You Don’t Love Me ((Clip)
14. Dawn Penn – You Don’t Love Me (No, No, No) (1967)
15. Dawn Penn – You Don’t Love Me (No, No, No) (1994) (Clip)
16. Alton Ellis – I’m Still In Love
17. Althea & Donna – Uptown Top Ranking (Clip)
18. The Cables – Baby Why
17. Dennis Alcapone – Baby Why Version
18. King Tubby – Loving Dub
JUMP IN AND JOIN UP
The Bassment Sessions Radio Show began in 2013 on Toronto’s CIUT 89.5 FM Radio station. Over the years the show has evolved from music-centric to the latest incarnation which places an emphasis on telling a story. Bringing history, context and trivia about the artists and songs you hear on the show. Currently the Basement Sessions is heard on over 45 stations globally.