“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in
this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”
CARL SAGAN, Academic, Astronomer, Scientist (1934–1996)
Medical marijuana has been legalized in 33 states, including the District of Columbia and Guam. Researchers have shown many of its benefits, yet federal law still prohibits Marijuana as a medical treatment. In this special ROCK feature, we highlight some of the positive aspects of the medical benefits of Marijuana based on research and scientific evidence.
- Marijuana slows the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, according to a 2006 study led by Kim Janda of the Scripps Research Institute. THC, the active ingredient present in Marijuana, slows the formation of amyloid plaques which kill the brain cells, ultimately leading to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Marijuana reduces pain and inflammation linked to Athritis. It also improves quality of sleep.
- A study in the Molecular Cancer Therapeutics found that Cannabidiol found in Marijuana, has the ability to stop cancer by turning off a gene called Id-1.
- According to the National Eye Institute, Marijuana can be used to treat Glaucoma, a condition that increases pressure inside the eyeball which can ultimately lead to vision loss.
- Researchers in Israel found that smoking Marijuana appeared to reduce tremor and pain and improve sleep among patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Marijuana helps veterans suffering from PTSD. The naturally occurring cannabinoids, similar to THC, help control the system that causes fear and anxiety in the body and brain.
- A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in January 2012 found that Marijuana improved lung functions and increased lung capacity.
- Marijuana has anti-inflammatory properties that assist in pain relief.
- Marijuana significantly reduces muscle spasms caused by Multiple Sclerosis
- Marijuana helps ease the symptoms of Crohn’s disease as it stops nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.